History

County of Williams, Ohio - Title Page

History of Bryan Ohio

At the session of the Ohio General Assembly, which convened on the first Monday of December, 1839, three Commissioners were appointed, by a joint resolution, to review and permanently locate the seats of justice of Williams and Lucas Counties. These Commissioners were Joseph Bums, of Coshocton; James Culbertson, of Perry, and Joseph McCutchen, of Crawford. Since the organization of Williams County, the seat of justice had been at Defiance; but that place, geographically, was a border town, and difficult and expensive of approach to the growing population of the interior, and all the northern, and most of the eastern and …

History of Bryan Ohio Read More »

County of Williams, Ohio - Title Page

Historical Post Offices in Williams County Ohio

The following is the list of post offices that have been established within the present geographical limits of Williams County, with name of first Postmaster, and date of establishment and appointment. It is in alphabetical order of the township: Ainger, John W. Wisman, August 25, 1880 Alvordton, Henry D. Alvord, April 27, 1881 Blakeslee, John N. Chilcote, May 4, 1880 Bridgewater, Chandler Holt, April 14, 1846 Bryan, Thomas Shorthill, February 22, 1841 Cooney, Almeda L. Fox, June 24, 1881 Deer Lick, Elias Barrett, April 1, 1847 Durbin’s Corners, George W. Durbin, August 13, 1850 Eagle Creek, Robert Ogle, August 30, …

Historical Post Offices in Williams County Ohio Read More »

County of Williams, Ohio - Title Page

Grand Army of the Republic of Bryan, Ohio

Evans Post, Bryan, G. A. R., was organized October 17, 1881, with the following-named charter members: E. R. McDonald F. H. Miller M. M. Boothman D. Graves J. Hively J. W. Leidigh N. B. Shouf J. R. McNary C. R. Spicer C. C. Crummel D. Davis J. P. Caldwell W. M. Johnston W. J. Carroll S. E. Richards J. Bauer M. Enterman John H. Shouf A. Gribbons J. S. Moore A. Dubois J. C. Horton J. G. Lauby J. E. Partee J. H. Stuart T. H. Himes Leaders: John S. Kounts, Department Commander George S. Canfield, Assistant Adjutant General E. …

Grand Army of the Republic of Bryan, Ohio Read More »

County of Williams, Ohio - Title Page

Bryan Corporation – Extracts from Official Records

In pursuance of an act of the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, entitled “An act to incorporate certain towns therein named,” passed March 7, A. D. 1849, notice for an election was duly made public. In pursuance of this notice an election was held June 15, 1849, at which the following named persons voted: D. H. BartonWilliam I. Bowlby*Charles Case*Volney Crocker*Levi CunninghamJonathan Davis*Joshua Dobbs*Jacob EberlyEdward Foster*Joseph FultonDaniel HallJohn B. Jones*Allendy Jump*John KaufmanJoseph KaufmanGeorge Keckler*Benjamin Kent*Stephen KentJohn G. KissellDaniel LangelC. MattisonWilliam McKeanI. K. Morrow*Leonard Naftzger*Jacob Over*John PaulS. PaulMilton B. Plummor*Samuel Roodky*Louis RoseA. M. Rowles*James L. Rowly*Benjamin Schmachtenberger*Thomas SerrelsGeorge SnellingL. …

Bryan Corporation – Extracts from Official Records Read More »

Athens County, Ohio Genealogy and History

This township was originally a part of Alexander. The eastern half of Lodi was included in Carthage when that township was organized in 1819, and was not detached till 1826. Lodi was separately organized in April of that year, and, according to the records, only fourteen votes were cast at the first township election held in the spring of 1827. The population of the township in 1830 was 276; in 1840 it was 754; in 1850 it was 1,336; in 1860 it was 1,598. Joseph Thompson was one of the earliest settlers in Lodi. He lived on the farm now …

Athens County, Ohio Genealogy and History Read More »

Trimble, Athens County, Ohio History

Trimble township was originally a part of Ames, from which it was stricken off and separately organized in April, 1827, It lies at the extreme northern limit of the county, on the waters of Sunday creek, the main branch of which runs, somewhat centrally, from north to south, through the township. It was named after Governor Allen Trimble, one of the early governors of Ohio. The first settlement made in this township was by Solomon Tuttle, Sen., in 1802. He, with his son, Cyrus Tuttle, and his brother, Nial Tuttle, all from Vermont, settled on the main creek. Soon after …

Trimble, Athens County, Ohio History Read More »

Rome, Athens County, Ohio History

Rome was formed from a portion of the township of Troy in 18 11. The first entry on the subject, in the records of the county commissioners, is as follows: “Thursday, April 4, 1811.-Ordered by the commissioners, That so much of the township of Troy as is contained in the original surveyed townships, numbered 5 and 6, in the 11th range, and 6 in the 12th range, be erected into a new township by the name of Rome. . “Ordered by the commissioners, That their clerk notify the inhabitants of the township of Rome to meet at the house of …

Rome, Athens County, Ohio History Read More »

Passage of Hockhocking River

In early times, and for many years after the organization of the county, the passage of the river was made by ferry boats-little scows which were poled and rowed across. In 1800 there was a ferry kept by old Arthur Coates (called Coates’s ferry) a few rods below where the south bridge now stands, and another one called Harper’s ferry, kept by William Harper, about 100 yards above where the Marietta and Cincinnati railroad crosses the Hockhocking, west of Athens just where the road turns. Mr. Harper lived a short distance the other side of the river, and Isaac Barker, …

Passage of Hockhocking River Read More »

Lee, Athens County, Ohio History and Genealogy

Lee township, originally a part of Alexander, was separately organized in November, 1819. Among the earliest settlers here were Capt. John Martin, a revolutionary soldier, Philip Smith, Henry Cassel, Ziba McVey, Daniel Knowlton, George Canny, John Holdren, William Brown, William Graham, Jacob Lentner, James McGonnegal, Francis Thomas, Samuel Luckey, Hiram Howlett, and John Doughty. The population of the township in 1820 was 342; in 1830 it was 458; in 1840 it was 848; in 1850 it was 961; in 1860 it was 1,301. The inhabitants of Lee are principally engaged in agriculture, and her farmers rank among the best. Latterly …

Lee, Athens County, Ohio History and Genealogy Read More »

Troy, Athens County, Ohio Genealogy and History

This township was settled under the auspices of the Ohio Company in the year 1798-about a year after the settlement of Athens and Ames. Some events connected with its history can, however, be traced back to a period nearly twenty-five years prior to that date. We have referred elsewhere to ” Dunmore’s war” and to the building of a fort at the mouth of the Hockhocking in 1774. When the first settlers came into Troy in 1798, the outlines of Dunmore’s camping ground were plainly discernible. Over a tract containing about twenty acres young saplings and underbrush had grown up, …

Troy, Athens County, Ohio Genealogy and History Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top