During the years of the county’s history there have been many village, or town plats, executed in the various townships. Some are still in existence, but many have long since become defunct. The following is a complete list of all that have ever been platted, with date, location and name of the proprietors (township name at date of platting) :
Wheeling was platted by David Dull on the southwest quarter of the southeast quarter of section 14, township 4, range 3, in Wheeling township. It was surveyed April 24, 1874.
New Birmingham was platted in 1826, by William Carson, and was replatted for assessment purposes June 14, i860; it was located on section 11, township 4, range 2.
Guernsey, in Cambridge township, in section 4, township 2, range 3, of the United States military lands, was laid out by John Fordyce, J. W. Robins and Madison D. Robins, November 7, 1872.
New Gottengen, by Charles Heidelbach, on the “Clay Pike,” in Richland township, May 13, 1836.
Winchester, on section 14, township 3, range 1, August 18, 1836. Its proprietor was Isaac Bonnell.
Elizabethtown, on the National turnpike, by Jacob Weller, in Wills township, March 7, 1832.
Londonderry, by Robert Wilkins, August 19, 1815, in Londonderry township.
Salesville was incorporated August 20, 1878. The original plat was surveyed in 1835, with George Brill as its proprietor.
Antrim, by Alexander Alexander, March 1, 1830, on lot 12, in the first quarter of township 3. range 1, of the United States military school lands.
Liberty, by William and John Gibson, on a part of the southeast quarter if section 23. township 4, range 3, August 2, 1828.
Fairview, on the southeast quarter of section 2, township 10, range 7, by Hugh Gillaland, March 24, 1814.
Middleton, on the National pike, on the north half of section 31, township to range 7, September 1, 1827, by Benjamin Masters.
Hartford, September 26, 1836, by David Johnston and John Secrest, on the southeast quarter of section 4, township 8, range 9, in “Buffalo” township.
Senecaville, on the banks of Seneca creek, in Richland township, by David Satterthwaite, July 18, 181 5.
Bridgewater, March 24, 1834, by William Orr, on the northwest quarter of section 25, township 2, range 7.
Portugal, November 14, 1833, by Levi Engle on the northwest quarter of section 3. township — , range 1.
Olivetown, on the southeast quarter of section 5, township 6, range 9, by John Wiley and Isaac Hill, September 27, 1815.
Craigsborough, on the west bank of Duck creek in the northeast quarter of section 4. township 6, range 9, by William Craig, February 26, 1818.
Zealand, on the northwest quarter of section 2J. township 9, range 10, by Benjamin Bay, June 21. 1820.
Williamsburg, in “Beaver township.” on the southwest quarter of the south half lot 3, section 16, by William Finley, November 21, 1828.
Union, by Elijah Lowery and John Laughlin, May 4, 1812, on the southeast quarter of section 9, township 1, range 2. A part of this was donated to the county for court house purposes, should the seat of justice be located at that point.
Paris was platted on the southeast and southwest quarters of section 22, township 1, range 4, by William Hunter, December 24, 1827.
Point Pleasant, at the junction of the Beaver and Seneca forks of Wills creek, on the northeast quarter of section 13. township — . range 8, by Benjamin Wilson. July 24. 1829.
Newburn, on section 22. “Beaver township,” by Thomas Walsh, November 27. 182S.
New Liberty, on the southwest quarter of section 20, township I, range 3, by Richard Dickinson, October 17, 1815.
Lexington, platted on the southeast quarter of section 24, and the northeast quarter of section 25, township 7, range 8, by Jacob Young and Jacob Myers, August 12, 1816.
Millwood, by Jonah Smith, on section 20, township 9, range 7, in “Beaver township,” February 18, 1835. It is now Quaker City.
West Barnesville, by Ford Barnes, December 23, 1825.
Martinsburg, by John Bickham and James Welsh, May 17, 1816, in Madison township.
Kimbolton (same as old Liberty), in Liberty township, incorporated November 5, 1884.
Byesville, by a number of persons. It is located in Jackson township and was platted November 26, 1881 (as an incorporation), but the original platting had been executed on section 6, township 1, range 2, July 1, 1856.
Quaker City, on section 20, of Millwood township, was platted as Millwood by Jonah Smith in 1835.
Spencer Station is on sections 7 and 13, of Millwood township.
Mount Ephraim, in “Seneca township,” platted June 29, 1838, by Ephraim Vorhees, on section 33, township 8, range 8.
Kennonburg, in township 8, range 8, and in the east half of section number 2. was platted by Daniel Rich and Arthur Vandyke, December 2, 1839.
West Boston, by Charles Phillis, December 3, 1836, on section 23, township 1, range 4.
Putneyville, on the southeast of the northwest quarter of section 10, township 9, range 7, was platted by George W. Henderson, April 30, 1846.
Bailey’s Mills was platted on May 14, 1855, on section 1, township 9, range 7, by Jesse W. Bailey.
Bridgeville was platted by Washington Shoff on February 5, 1848.
Cambridge (City) was originally platted by Jacob Gomber and Zaccheus A. Beatty on June 2, 1806.
Washington was platted by George and Henry Beymer on September 28, 1805, at a time when this county was still a part of Muskingum County.
New Salem was platted by William Hosack on April 21, 1845, on the Grade Road leading from Cambridge to the Ohio Canal.
Mantua was platted on August 6, 1853, by Thomas P. Wilson and William P. Rose on the northwest quarter of section 3, township 2, range 4.
Centreville was platted on the southwest quarter of section 5, township 2, range 2, by David Kinkead on August 31, 1842.
Easton was platted by Alexander Frew on November 21, 1842, in Washington Township.
Florence was platted by Samuel Arbuthnot on September 12, 1842, on the Steubenville, Cadiz, and Cambridge macadamized road.
Derwent was platted in Valley Township on a part of section 4, township 8, range 9, by Eliza Dickerson on August 10, 1898.
Rigby was platted by Henry Moss on December 20, 1898, on the northeast quarter of section 4, township 1, range 2, in Centre Township.
Kingston was platted by John H. Robins in Centre Township on the northeast quarter of section 3, township 1, range 2.
Lore City was platted on June 8, 1903, in Centre Township on Leatherwood Creek.
Opperman was platted in Valley Township on the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section 14, township 9, range 10, by Thomas Moore and his wife on August 28, 1903.
Fletcher was platted on November 5, 1908, by J. B. Hamilton, A. E. Fletcher, and B. V. Witten on the west half of section 11, township 8, range 9.
Blacktop was platted on section 8, township 1, range 2, on July 2, 1900, by M. L. Spaid.
Midway was platted on lot 35, township 1, range 3, in Jackson Township by Mike Stifka on October 31, 1904.
Greenwood was platted by Thomas Taylor on June 12, 1848. Cumberland was platted by James Bay on April 24, 1828, on the northeast of section 32, township 9, range 10.
Claysville was platted by Ford Barnes on June 7, 1828, on the west half of the southwest quarter of section 22, township 1, range 4.
There have been numerous villages — a small collection of houses and trading places with post offices — besides the above, but were not regular plats. These include Hopewell, Londonderry, Winchester, Indian Camp, etc.
The incorporated towns of the county are: Cambridge (City), Salesville, Pleasant City, Cumberland, Quaker City, Byesville, Senecaville, Fairview, Kimbolton, Lore City, Washington, Hartford.