W. A. Lovett, working energetically and persistently to attain that success which is the legitimate goal of all business industry, is now conducting a laundry in Newark. He was born October 30, 1837, in Mansfield, Ohio, a son of John W. and Lydia (Gray) Lovett, both of whom were natives of New York. Following their marriage, they removed to Ohio in 1835, settling in Richland county among its early residents, for the work of improvement was still in its primitive stages when they took up their home there. The father followed the occupation of farming in that county until his death in 1854, the mother surviving until 1857.
W. A. Lovett was educated in the public schools of Richland county and in the Vermillion Institute, after which he devoted two years to teaching. He then went to New York on a visit, and the smoke of Fort Sumter’s guns had scarcely cleared away when he joined the army, becoming a member of one of the first companies raised — Company H of the Twenty-eighth New York infantry. With this command he went to the front, taking part in a number of hotly contested engagements, until 1862, when he was wounded at the battle of Cedar Mountain and his health was so shattered that he was honorably discharged in 1863, his term of service having expired.
Returning to Ohio, Mr. Lovett was employed in various lines of business until 1864, when he was appointed postmaster of Upper Sandusky by President Lincoln, but he would not endorse President Johnson’s policy, and was relieved in 1866. He continued a resident of Upper Sandusky until 1869, when he went to Illinois, where he engaged in the insurance business, continuing in that state for several years. In 1880 he again became a resident of Mansfield, Ohio, where he conducted a shirt manufacturing business for some time. Later he carried on the same line of business in Galion, Ohio, and in 1884 removed to Newark, locating at the corner of Fourth and Church streets, where he is now conducting a laundry business, being proprietor of the Newark Steam Laundry, the oldest and best enterprise of this kind in the city. High class. work, promptness and reliability have. always been features of this undertaking, and they constitute the foundation on which he has builded his success.
In 1863, Mr. Lovett was married to Miss Louisa J. Smith, a native of Greene county, and they have one daughter, Emma, now the wife of G. W. Shartle. Mr. Lovett is a member of the Lemert Post, G. A. R., and thus maintains pleasant relations with his old army comrades. He is a member of the Second Presbyterian church, and a most highly respected citizen, his honorable principles gaining for him the good will of all. He is prominent in local republican circles, has been chairman of the executive committee, and at all times is as true and loyal to his country in matters of citizenship as when he followed the old flag upon southern battlefields.