William Marcus Dunlap. — There could be no more comprehensive history written of a city or county, or even of a state and its people, than that which deals with the life work of those who, by their own endeavor and indomitable energy, have placed themselves where they well deserve the title of “progressive,” and in this sketch will be found the record of one who has refused to be subdued by the obstacles and failures that come to everyone, but who has made them stepping stones to higher things, and at the same time that he was winning his way in the material affairs of life gained a reputation for uprightness and honor.
William M. Dunlap, whose splendid farm of 97 l / 2 acres is located in section 1 of Superior Township, was born on the farm where he now lives, on February 23, 1866, and is the only child born to the union of Andrew and Mary A. (Hoskinson) Dunlap. Andrew Dunlap was born in Ireland in 1796 and in 1809 came with his parents to the United States, settling in Pennsylvania. Later they came to Columbiana County, Ohio, where he was reared to manhood and married. Afterwards he came to Williams County, settling first near Pulaski, where he bought land, but a year later he sold that place and bought the farm where his son now lives, and there he spent the remainder of his days, his death occurring in 1888. He and his wife were earnest members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and took an active part in the support of all worthy interests of the community.
William M. Dunlap was reared on the paternal farmstead and attended the district schools of that neighborhood. He remained with his parents and at the time of his father’s death he acquired his share and purchased the other heirs’ interest in the 97i/ 2 acres of the home farm, and he has since applied himself to the operation of this farm with success. The place is well improved and is numbered among the most productive farms in the community, Mr. Dunlap being recognized as a farmer of mature judgment and untiring industry.
On March 25, 1893, Mr. Dunlap was married to Delia Fulton, the daughter of Fred H. and Malinda J. (Mott) Fulton. Her father was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1839, and her mother in Jefferson Township, this county. Mr. Fulton came to Hancock County, Ohio, in 1843, residing there until August, 1860, when he came to Williams County. Here he was married and settled on a farm in Jefferson Township, where he lived continuously until his death March 28, 1920. To him and his wife were born six children, namely Cora, wife of Samuel Roush; Delia, wife of the subject; Olive the wife of Joseph Mocherman; Maurice O.; Ida, the wife of Christ Grabner; Pearl, unmarried, in Columbus. To Mr. and Mrs. Dunlap has been born a son, Harry F., born on January 16, 1896 who was educated in the district schools, graduating from the Montpelier High School in 1915. He is a veteran of the World war, having enlisted on May 25, 1918. He went overseas with the American Expeditionary Forces and was on the front line during the last months prior to the signing of the armistice, being afterwards sent on to Germany. He was finally ordered back to the United States and mustered out on May 23, 1919. He is now at home with his parents He is a member of the American Legion, and is also an active member of the Pleasant Hill Grange, being also a lecturer and overseer of the Williams County Pomona Grange.
Mr. Dunlap is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of which he is a past grand, and he and his wife are members of the Daughters of Rebekah, of which Mrs. Dunlap is a past grand. Politically, Mr. Dunlap gives his support to the republican party. He is a member and past master of Pleasant Hill Grange. He is a stockholder and a member of the directorate of the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Montpelier. Whatever of success he has attained has been entirely owing to his individual efforts, his energy and natural ability. Through the years of his life here he has gradually attained a deserved prominence in his community and is eminently entitled to the high esteem which he enjoys among his fellow citizens.
Source: Bowersox, Charles A. ed. A standard history of Williams County, Ohio: an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in the commercial, industrial, educational, civic and social development , 2 vols. Publisher Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co. 1920.