Emmet E. Calvin.— Three vocations, those of farming, teaching and plumbing, have entered into the activities of E. E. Calvin during a long, successful and honorable career, and in each of these occupations he so directed his affairs that he won not only material prosperity but established a reputation for efficient workmanship, integrity in his transactions with his follow men and cooperation with others in working toward the advancement of the general weal. Mr. Calvin, who has now retired from active affairs and is living in comfort at his home at Bryan, was born on a farm in section 6, Pulaski Township Williams County, Ohio, June 15, 1863, a son of Andrew J. and Emily (Byers) Calvin, natives of Portage County, this state.
The Calvin family is one that has been identified with Williams County since 1848, and the old homestead has belonged to several generations of the family, having been owned originally by David Calvin, later by Joshua Calvin, then by Andrew J. Calvin, who was succeeded by his son, Harry Calvin. Andrew J. Calvin was a lifelong farmer in Pulaski and Jefferson townships, Williams County and a man of rugged honesty and good citizenship. He was a republican in politics and served his township as a member of the board of trustees, and he and his devoted wife were faithful members of the Christian Church. They were the parents of six children • J W a resident of Bryan; E. E.; Charles O., farming in Cadmus, Nebraska-Rose, the wife of W. H. Scott, of Pittsford, Michigan; Harry B., of Bryan, Ohio; and Delia, unmarried, a resident of Bryan.
E. E. Calvin attended the district schools of Pulaski Township while being reared on the home farm, and subsequently took courses in the normal schools at Wauseon and Fayette. He then began his career as a teacher in the rural districts, being for eight years a teacher in Pulaski Township, and for one year each in Center and St. Joseph townships. Where he gave up the work of an educator, with which he had combined farming during the summer months, he engaged in drilling wells and putting up windmills for thirty years. The last few years he has also added plumbing to his business. He followed that occupation during the winter periods while still continuing his agricultural operations during the summer months. Eventually Mr. Calvin settled at Bryan, where he now makes his home, and where he is highly esteemed because of his many sterling qualities and his public-spirited citizenship. He is a member of Bryan Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and in politics is a republican. He has several important business connections, and is a stockholder in the Farmers Cooperative Elevator Company at Bryan.
On December 9, 1894, Mr. Calvin was united in marriage with Miss Allie Scott, who was born in Superior Township, Williams County, Ohio, and to this union there have been born three sons: Denver, a graduate of the public schools, who is engaged in operating his father’s farm in Pulaski Township; Gayle, a graduate of the Bryan high school, now at home with his father; and Scott, who died when nine months old.
Source: Bowersox, Charles A. ed. A standard history of Williams County, Ohio: an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in the commercial, industrial, educational, civic and social development , 2 vols. Publisher Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co. 1920.