Harry B. Calvin, who sold his farm and moved to Bryan in November, 1919, is thoroughly deserving of the proud American title of self-made man, the term being one that, in its better sense, cannot but appeal to the admiration of all who are appreciative of our national institutions and the privileges afforded for individual accomplishment.
Harry B. Calvin was born on his father’s farm in Pulaski Township, Williams County, Ohio, on September 13, 1870, and is the son of Andrew J. and Emily (Byers) Calvin, both of whom were natives of Portage County, Ohio. They were reared and educated in their native county and both came to Williams County prior to their marriage. After the latter event they located on the farm recently sold by their son, and there they spent the remainder of their lives, the father dying in March, 1895, and the mother in 1912. They were active members of the Lick Creek Disciples Church, of which Mr. Calvin was a deacon. He was a republican in his political views and took an active part in local public affairs, having served as trustee of Pulaski Township. To him and his wife were born six children, namely: J. W., of Bryan; E. E., of Bryan; C. O., of Cadmus, Nebraska; Rosa, the wife of W. H. Scott, of Pittsford, Michigan; Harry B., the subject of this sketch, and Delia, of Bryan.
Harry B. Calvin received his educational training in the public schools of Bryan and the Normal School at Fayette, Ohio. He then learned the art of telegraphy and was employed by the Standard Oil Company, with which company he remained for twenty years, being employed as engineer and operator. In 1910 Mr. Calvin bought the old homestead in Pulaski Township and he then devoted his attention to its operation and showed marked ability as a progressive and practical farmer and was numbered among the enterprising agriculturists of his township.
On March 19, 1891, Mr. Calvin was married to Rilla Kieffer, who was born in Wayne County, Ohio, on September 13, 1870, the daughter of Jesse Kieffer. She came to Bryan with her parents and attended the high school there, after which she devoted her attention to the teaching of music. To Mr. and Mrs. Calvin was born a son, Eldred A., on April 4, 1892. He attended the public schools and the Bradner high school and on February 24, 1916, he was married to Emma J Sannar, who was born in Bradner, Woods County, Ohio, and is a graduate of the high school at Pittsford, Michigan. She taught school tor one year after completing her studies.
Fraternally, Mr. Calvin is a member of Bryan Lodge No 221 Knights of Pythias, of which he has served twice as chancellor’ commander, and he and his wife are members of the local lodge of Pythian Sisters, of which Mrs. Calvin is a past chief and member of the Grand Lodge. Politically, Mr. Calvin has always supported the republican party and has been active in his advocacy of every movement for the advancement of the best interests of the community. He has been true and loyal in all the relations of life and stands as a type of that sterling manhood which ever commands respect and honor.
Source: Bowersox, Charles A. ed. A standard history of Williams County, Ohio: an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in the commercial, industrial, educational, civic and social development , Vol. 2. Publisher Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co. 1920.