Biography of Franklin Knecht of Florence Township, Ohio
Franklin Knecht, who lives five miles northwest of Montpelier in Florence Township was ten years old when his parents came to Williams County. He was born July 9, 1855, in Crawford County. He is a son of John G. and Mary (Fouser) Knecht, the parents both born and brought up in Germany. They were married and three of their children were born in Germany. The father was a farmer in Germany. In 1845 they emigrated to the United States and settled in Crawford County. It was twenty years later that they removed to Williams County. They bought eighty acres of land in Superior Township and ended their days on it.
The Knechts were members of the German Lutheran Church and thirteen children were born to them, although A. D. 1920, only six of them are among the living: Gottlieb, Catharine, Sofia, Lewis, Franklin and William. They all had common school advantages, and Franklin who relates the family history remained at home until he was twenty-one years old when he married Barbara Knoblich who was born in Florence Township and had always lived in Williams County. Their children are: William D., with the Wabash Railroad and living in Montpelier; Harvey, of Florence Township, and Iva, the wife of Charles Custer.
The Knechts of this generation are members of the United Brethren Church, and Franklin Knecht is Sunday school superintendent. Mr. Knecht is a democrat and for four years he was the assessor in Florence Township. He was a member of the local school board for five years. He is a member of the Edon Farmers’ Cooperative Association, and is interested in all farm organizations looking to the welfare of the rural community. Besides being a farmer Mr. Knecht is a carpenter and contractor, and in addition to making all the improvements on his own farm he has built many houses and barns for others. He operated a sawmill on the farm when there was more timber in Williams County.