George J. Wise. — It is by no means an easy task to describe within the limits of this review a man who has led an active life and by his own exertions reached a position of honor and success in the vocation to which he has applied his energies. But biography finds justification, nevertheless, in tracing and recording such a life, as the public claims a certain property interest in the career of every individual and the time invariably arrives when it becomes advisable to give the right publicity. It is then with a certain degree of satisfaction that the chronicler essays the task of touching briefly upon such a record as has been that of George J. Wise, a farmer of high standing and influence in Pulaski Township.
George J. Wise, whose fine farm is located on the Napoleon road in Pulaski Township, about four miles east of Bryan, was born in Seneca, Ohio, on the seventh day of October, 1856, and is the son of Charles and Christina (Karier) Wise. Charles Wise was born in Germany, whence he came to the United States in 1848, landing at New York City. He first made location in Crawford County, Ohio, where he bought a home and lived for a time, but eventually they came to Williams County, locating east of Bryan, in Pulaski Township. He applied himself to farming pursuits there until 1870, when he moved to Bryan and there spent the rest of his days. He was a minister of the United Brethren Church and a republican in his political views. He became the father of three children, all of whom are dead but the subject.
George J. Wise was a boy of thirteen years when the family came to Williams County and he secured his educational training in the common schools of Pulaski Township. He has devoted his entire life to agricultural pursuits, in which he has met with a gratifying degree of success, owing to his persistent industry and his practical intelligence in the direction of his affairs. He is the owner of sixty acres of well improved land, which is maintained at a high state of cultivation, and the general appearance of the place indicates the owner to be a man of good judgment and excellent taste. In addition to the cultivation of the land, Mr. Wise has also met with considerable success in the raising of live stock.
In 1881 Mr. Wise was married to Ella Baker, who was born in Richland County, Ohio, and to them were born three children, namely: Vergie, the wife of Earl Newcomer, of Pulaski Township; Nell E., the wife of Guy Schaefrer, and Oliver C, who is referred to in a later paragraph.
Politically, Mr. Wise has always given his support to the republican party, and has consistently thrown his influence in favor of every movement having for its object the betterment of the community along any legitimate line. He has played a noticeable role in the general progress of the locality in which he lives and can look back over a career well spent and know that he has the good will and hearty esteem of all who have come into contact with him.
Oliver C. Wise enlisted on May 29, 1918, in the United States, service, and on August 24th was assigned to the quartermaster’s department at Camp Johnson, Florida. On September 10th he was transferred to Motor Truck Company No. 506, of Motor Supply Train No. 422. He left Camp Johnson for Camp Upton, New York, on September 16th, and on the following day he left Camp Upton for embarkation. He landed at Glasgow, Scotland, on September 29th, went to Ronssey, England, on the following day, arrived at Southampton on October 1st and at La Havre, France, on October 2d. He arrived at LeMans on October 6th and at Nantes on October 11th. From that time on he saw service of various kinds at different places; in France, locating at St. Nazaire on January 10, 1919. Returning home on July 30, 1919, he received an honorable discharge, with the rank of corporal.
Source: Bowersox, Charles A. ed. A standard history of Williams County, Ohio: an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in the commercial, industrial, educational, civic and social development , 2 vols. Publisher Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co. 1920.