Harvey F. Brown is one of the efficient and popular officials of Williams County and his technical skill and discrimination come into effective play in his activities and service as county surveyor. He was born in Jefferson County, this state, July 28, 1883, and is a son of Ledlie H. and Leanora (Foreman) Brown, both natives of Hancock County, West Virginia, where the former was born in 1851 and the latter about 1851. The venerable father now maintains his home in Jefferson County, Ohio, his loved wife having passed to the life eternal in August, 1919, and the subject of this review being the elder of the two surviving children, his brother, Frederick R., being a resident of Toronto, Ohio. The father is a republican in his political faith, is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias, and he holds membership in the Methodist Protestant Church, as did also his wife.
In his native county Harvey F. Brown was reared in the fine little City of Toronto, and after having there completed the curriculum of the public schools he continued his studies in Bethany College and graduated, after which he entered Ohio State University, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1912, and from which he received not only the degree of Bachelor of Arts but also that of Civil Engineer, the latter degree having been conferred upon him in 1912. After leaving the university Mr. Brown brought his technical knowledge into effective service by entering the employment of the Government as inspector of locks and dams on the Ohio River. He served also as village engineer of his home town of Toronto, Jefferson County, and later became borough engineer at Charleroi, Pennsylvania. In 1915 he established his home at Bryan, judicial center of Williams County, Ohio, and here he served as deputy county surveyor until November 5, 1918, when he was elected county surveyor, in which office he has continued to give most able and efficient service, with reputation as one of the representative civil engineers in this part of his native state. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, he is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, and he and his wife hold membership in the Christian Church.
September 15, 1909, was the day that marked the marriage of Mr. Brown to Miss Elizabeth E. Carson, who is a graduate not only of one of the state normal schools of Pennsylvania but also of Bethany College in West Virginia, and who had been a successful and popular teacher prior to her marriage.
Source: Bowersox, Charles A. ed. A standard history of Williams County, Ohio: an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in the commercial, industrial, educational, civic and social development , 2 vols. Publisher Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co. 1920.