J. E. Alspaugh. — The record of the gentleman whose name introduces this sketch contains no exciting chapter of tragic events, but is replete with well defined purposes which, carried to successful issue, have won for him an influential place in business circles and high personal standing among his fellow citizens. His life work has been characterized by unceasing industry and perseverance and the systematic and honorable methods which he has ever followed have resulted not only in gaining the confidence of those with whom he has had dealings, but also in the building up of a good business and the accumulation of a good property.
J. E. Alspaugh, manager of the Stryker Lumber Company, at Stryker, Ohio, is a native son of the Buckeye State, having been born on his father’s farm, about sixteen miles southeast of Columbus, Franklin County, on July 14, 1867. He is a son of Jonathan and Christiana (Beartsch) Alspaugh, the former a native of Van Wert County, Ohio, and the latter born in Franklin County on the same farm where the subject was born. Jonathan Alspaugh was reared to manhood in Van Wert County, and at the outbreak of the Civil war he offered his services in defense of the Union, enlisting in the Forty-sixth Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served three years. After his return from the army, he moved to Franklin County and engaged in farming, becoming the owner of sixty acres of land in Van Wert County, Ohio, on which he carried on general farming operations. He was an earnest supporter of the republican party and served as assessor of Wilshire Township. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church and was affiliated with the Masonic order. To him and his wife were born eight children, six of whom are living, namely: J. E., the immediate subject of this sketch; Louisa, the wife of Elmer Coffman; O. A., of Cuyhoga Falls; E. H., a physician of Wilshire, Ohio; Bertha L., wife of Fred Heardering, of Anderson, Indiana, and Gracie, a stenographer in Chicago.
J. E. Alspaugh was about one year of age when the family moved to Van Wert County, Ohio, and there he was reared and secured his educational training in the public schools. He spent his summers in working on the home farm until he had attained his majority, when he engaged in farming for about seven years. He then went to Rockford, Ohio, where he engaged in carpentering and contracting for about thirteen years. During the following three years he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits, but then engaged in the lumber business at Wilshire, which commanded his attention for six years. In May, 1919, Mr. Alspaugh came to Stryker and purchased a large interest in the Stryker Lumber Company, of which he was elected secretary, treasurer and manager, which positions he still occupies. He is thoroughly familiar with every phase of the lumber business and has demonstrated his thorough qualification for the line of work in which he is engaged.
Mr. Alspaugh was married to Flora Lauckhart and they have become the parents of six children, namely: Finley, who is manager of the Edon Lumber Company, at Edon, this county; Arnold, who is now on his father’s farm in Mercer County, Ohio, is a veteran of the World war, having served with the 157th Aviation Squadron and spending two years in England and France; Ada is the wife of Wilber Smalley; Zelah is the wife of Randolph Shaffer; Ezra and Esther are at home.
Mr. Alspaugh gives his support to the republican party, while, religiously, he and his wife were members of the Presbyterian Church, which he served as ruling elder at Rockford, Ohio, but they are now members of the English Lutheran Church, Stryker, Ohio. Fraternally, he is a member of Shanes Lodge, No. 377, Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is a past master; Celina Chapter, No. 120, Royal Arch Masons, and of Ivanhoe Commandery, No. 54, Knights Templar. His record is the story of a life whose success is measured by its usefulness — a life that has made for good in all its relations with the world, and he therefore has richly merited the enviable position which he now enjoys in the community.
Source: Bowersox, Charles A. ed. A standard history of Williams County, Ohio: an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in the commercial, industrial, educational, civic and social development , Vol. 2. Publisher Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co. 1920.