York, Athens County, Ohio History
This township was a part of Ames until 1811, and then, on the organization of Dover, became a part of the latter township. York was separately organized in June, 1818, and the first election for township officers was held at the house of Ebenezer Blackstone.
The population in 1820 was 341; in 1830 it was 871; in 1840 it was 1,601; in 1850 it was 1,391; in 1860 it was 1,836.
The township is traversed by the Hocking Valley canal, which crosses it from northeast to southwest, and has heretofore furnished an excellent outlet for the coal which is mined at and near Nelsonville in great quantities. In the vast deposits of this mineral which underlie a large part of the township, York possesses an undeveloped wealth that will reward the labor and enterprise of many generations yet to come. An active coal trade has existed at Nelsonville for several years past, which will be greatly increased by the opening of the Hocking Valley railroad, and there can be no doubt that this township will, at some future day, be the seat of great wealth and manufacturing life.
The town of Nelsonville, near the northern limit of the township, is a thrifty village, with a population of 1,700 and steadily increasing. It was laid out in June, 1818, and named after Mr. Daniel Nelson, who owned the land on which the town is situated. The town was incorporated by act of the legislature passed in 1838.
Back to: Athens County, Ohio