Owning a farm of ninety-four acres, Wesley Casebere, of Edgerton, Williams County, is still actively engaged in work upon which the health, wealth and general prosperity of our nation is largely dependent. A son of William Casebere, he was born, July 12, 1848, in Troy Township, Dekalb County, Indiana.
In 1790 two brothers named Casebere emigrated from Germany to the United States, one of them settling in Pennsylvania. A descendant of that Casebere, one John Casebere, married, and in 1814 located in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, at Canal Dover, and from his nine children all of the Ohio Caseberes are descended. The eldest son, also-named John Casebere, was born in Pennsylvania, October 24, 1798, and in 1814 came with his parents to Canal Dover, Ohio. In 1821 he married Nancy Smiley, a daughter of George Smiley, and in 1839, having entered land in both Ohio and Indiana, moved to Troy Township, Dekalb County, Indiana, where he resided until his death, September 2, 1881. He had previously learned the blacksmith’s trade, and specialized in the making of cow bells. In 1841 he erected a second cabin, and in that cabin the first school opened in that district was taught, ten out of its sixteen pupils having been Caseberes. His wife died May 4, 1870, several years before he did.
One of a family of twelve children, William Casebere went with his parents to Troy Township, Indiana, from Canal Dover, Ohio, and assisted his father as well as a boy could in clearing and improving a homestead. He began life for himself as a farmer in that township, but finally removed to Canada, where he spent the later years of his life. He married Harriet Moore, who was also of pioneer stock, and on the farm which he owned and occupied his children were reared.
Brought up and educated in his native township, Wesley Casebere began life for himself as a youth, and for eight years worked as a farm laborer for Daniel Farnham, a prominent agriculturist of St. Joseph Township, Williams County. Industrious and enterprising, he wisely saved his money, and after his marriage bought his present farm, and in its improvement has taken great pleasure, his work having also proved quite remunerative.
Mr. Casebere married Mrs. Medora (Williams) Geiger, who was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1847, and came with her parents to Williams County, Ohio, in 1856. She received excellent educational advantages, attending the public schools and the Newville Academy, after which she taught school a few terms. She married Jacob Geiger, who died in early life, leaving her with one daughter.
Alberta Geiger, who became the wife of W. D. Bratten, of St. Joseph Township. Mr. and Mrs. Casebere have one child, E. E. Casebere, of St. Joseph Township, who married Clara Watson, and has one son. Mr. Casebere is a republican in politics. His son, E. E. Casebere, is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and both he and his wife belong to the Order of the Eastern Star.
Source: Bowersox, Charles A. ed. A standard history of Williams County, Ohio, Vol. 2, an authentic narrative of the past, with particular attention to the modern era in the commercial, industrial, educational, civic and social development. Publisher Chicago: Lewis Pub. Co. 1920. FHL book 977.1113 H2b