One of the best known citizens of Williams County, a former county commissioner, Frank C. Flickinger has always shown a serious sense of responsibility both to himself and his fellow men, and his material accumulations would offset in only a small measure his large and varied service.
Mr. Flickinger was born in Wayne County, Ohio, October 12, 1874, a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Weidrich) Flickinger, the former a native of Wayne County and the latter of Allen County, Indiana. Both parents were active members of the United Brethren Church. Daniel Flickinger was a democrat, interested in political affairs, and at one time was roadmaster in Northwest Township of Williams County. He died August 14, 1914, and his widow is still living in Northwest Township. They had two sons, F. C. and Herman, the latter a farmer on the old homestead.
F. C. Flickinger was seven years of age when his parents moved to Williams County and here he acquired a public school education, supplemented with a teacher’s course at the Tri-State College at Angola, Indiana. He received his degree Bachelor of Pedagogy. Mr. Flickinger has devoted his entire adult life to the profession of teaching, and almost altogether in Northwest Township. While it could not be said that he has gained wealth from a profession that is notoriously underpaid, he has contrived to manage his affairs in the intervals of school work in such a manner as to achieve the ownership of a good farm, consisting of 150 acres, and is known as a successful breeder of Duroc hogs and white Leghorn chickens. He has always been active in democratic politics, served eight years as township clerk of Northwest Township, and for two years was a valued member of the County Board of Commissioners. He is also a member of the Township Board of Education.
March 15, 1899, Mr. Flickinger married Nettie Ricketts. They have four children: Zola and Cleon, both graduates of the Montpelier High School; Gaython, who has completed the common school work, and Gladys attending the grade school. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church and Mr. Flickinger is a past master of the Grange.