Franklin Knecht, was born July 9, 1855, in Crawford County. He is a son of John G. and Mary (Fouser) Knecht, the parents both born and brought up in Germany. he married Barbara Knoblich who was born in Florence Township and had always lived in Williams County. They had three children.
Mr. Kintigh, whose farm home is a mile east and a half mile south of Cooney, was born in Northwest Township September 16, 1868, son of William and Susanna (Shaffer) Kintigh, the former a native of Pennsylvania and the latter of Ohio. In 1893 Mr. Kintigh married Miss Jennie Houtz, who was born in Camden, Michigan, and was also a teacher before her marriage. They have two talented children.
David J. Mettler was born at Union Corners, then known as the Adair Farms, on September 9, 1862, son of William and Miriam (Adair) Mettler. On January 1, 1885, Mr. Mettler married Miss Wilda Moss, a native of Allen County, Indiana, where she lived to the age of twelve when her parents removed to Columbia, Ohio.
One of the best known citizens of Williams County, a former county commissioner, Frank C. Flickinger has always shown a serious sense of responsibility both to himself and his fellow men, and his material accumulations would offset in only a small measure his large and varied service. Mr. Flickinger was born in Wayne County, Ohio, October 12, 1874, a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Weidrich) Flickinger, the former a native of Wayne County and the latter of Allen County, Indiana. Both parents were active members of the United Brethren Church. Daniel Flickinger was a democrat, interested in political affairs, and …
Owning a farm of ninety-four acres, Wesley Casebere, of Edgerton, Williams County, is still actively engaged in work upon which the health, wealth and general prosperity of our nation is largely dependent. A son of William Casebere, he was born, July 12, 1848, in Troy Township, Dekalb County, Indiana. Mr. Casebere married Mrs. Medora (Williams) Geiger, who was born in Licking County, Ohio, in 1847, and came with her parents to Williams County, Ohio, in 1856.
Mr. Kurtz, whose home is a mile and three-quarters southeast of Edgerton, was born in Milford Township, Defiance County, Ohio, March 24, 1871. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Kurtz, were natives of Germany and were married in that country. January 23, 1898, he married Martha M. Fisher, who was born in Center Township of Williams County, February 3, 1878, daughter of Michael and Mary (Laufer) Fisher. They have two children.
Samuel F. Burkhart, brother of Joseph Burkhart, was born in Crawford County, Ohio, near Bucyrus, June 6, 1862, and at the age of seven years came with his parents to Saint Joseph Township, where he acquired his early knowledge of books, and became acquainted with the various branches of agriculture. Mr. Burkhart married Lena Landel.
A prominent and prosperous agriculturist, and an extensive land holder, Joseph Burkhart, of St. Joseph Township, is widely known as proprietor of Twin Elm Farm, which consists of 260 acres of land, twenty acres of which lies in Dekalb County, Indiana. He also owns another farm of 240 acres in the same township, and is carrying on general farming and stock raising most successfully. A son of George Burkhart, he was born, May 12, 1858, in Crawford County, Ohio, where he lived until twelve years of age. Born and educated in Pennsylvania, George Burkhart came to Ohio in early manhood, …
C. H. Boone, proprietor of the Boone Lumber Company, at Montpelier, Ohio, was born near Wooster, Wayne County, Ohio, on December 29, 1849, and is the son of Thomas and Anna (Criss) Boone. These parents were both natives of Pennsylvania, where they were reared to maturity and were married. Eventually they came to Ohio, settling near Wooster, where they engaged in farming and where they spent the remainder of their lives. They were faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Boone gave his support to the republican party. They were parents of the following children : W. S., of Montpelier, Ohio; Elizabeth, the wife of E. D. Pinkerton, of Wooster, Ohio; C. H., the subject of this sketch; Ruth A., deceased; Joseph N., of Akron, Ohio; Mattie, the wife of Dr. Bucher, of Wheat-field, Indiana; Lucy, the wife of George Getts, of Massilon, Ohio.
Henry W. Ellis was born at Fayette, Fulton County, Ohio, November 30, 1861, a son of Philip and Anna (Holden) Ellis, natives of Lincolnshire, England, where they were reared, educated and married. The parents came to the United States in 1856 and located at Fayette, Ohio, subsequently going to Lyons, where both died, the mother in 1871. They were members first of the Methodist Episcopal Church and later of the United Brethren Church, and Mr. Ellis became a republican in politics after coming to this country. Of the four children in the family, three are living: John T. and William O., residents of Seattle, Washington; and Henry W. of Bryan, Ohio.